The History of South Oldham Fire Department
The South Oldham Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1950. The original Fire Station, located at 6412 Railroad Avenue, was built in 1950, by volunteers. Their first apparatus (5423) was a 1950 Chevrolet, with a 500gpm Midwest pump. The Department still has this apparatus and it is completely operational.
The original dispatching was done from the Stoess Hardware Store & the Stoess Funeral Home.
The original funding was from subscriptions.
A fire taxing district was created in the 1970’s, to provide a more stable and reliable source of revenue. We cover approximately 25 square miles.
In 1976, a centralized emergency dispatch center (Oldham County Dispatch - OCD) was started.
South Oldham was the first fire department in KY to have 5” hose.
A new fire station was built in 1979, located at 6710 West Highway 146. This was used until 2002, and is currently used as an Oldham County Government Center Branch Office.
A part time (weekday) paid staff was started in 1996, to supplement the volunteers.
With an ever growing run volume, growth of the community and expanding needs for the fire department, a new and modern fire station was completed in 2002, located at 6310 Old LaGrange Road, here in Crestwood. This building should serve the Department and Community for many years to come.
Again, with increasing run volumes and daily responsibilities, the Department started its first 24/48 hour shift paid firefighters in September of 2006.
In October 2009, the Fire District became proactive and purchased land in the Brownsboro Community area, for a future fire station to, one day, better serve that area of our Fire District, as the anticipated development in that area increases.